Saturday, January 12, 2019

Something Good

I've only just started this blogging thing and, even though I've only posted 3 times, I've lamented a lot. Granted, my musings are a reflection of what's going on with me at the present moment. That's kind of how this online journaling works, right? And my current state is so deeply entrenched in frustration due to testing and its side effects, scripted curriculums, data-driven busy work, and the like, that that's what's coming out when I sit down to write.

This week was no different. Worse, really. (I attempted to bring some of my points to the negotiating table. It didn't go well.) But something good happened this week, too, and this morning I want to talk about that.

My teammate and friend presented a short PD during our weekly grade level planning meeting this week. He attended a session with Beers and Probst on their book Reading Nonfiction: Notice and Note Stances, Signposts, and Strategies and shared with us three stances used to enrich students' reading on nonfiction texts. In the 20 minute talk, he explained the theory, we applied the practice to a shared reading passage he provided, discussed the results he's already seeing from its implementation in his classroom, and ended with some tangible steps to take back to our classrooms.

It was the most useful PD we've had all year.

It was also the first PD we've had that did not relate directly to implementing and analyzing assessments or interpreting a scripted program.

It was the first PD that has been what a PD should be.

Now I've been feeling increasingly grumpy and disgruntled during meetings all year. And while I walked into this one with a smile -I didn't want to make my teammate feel bad with my resting bitch face- inwardly I was feeling just as grumpy and disgruntled as I have been. But when he finished talking, the strangest thing happened, I felt... good. I felt a little energized. I felt like I had just learned something interesting and applicable that could positively impact my teaching. I had a new strategy to try and new path to explore in my own professional development journey.

The more I read, write, and talk about what is going on in my district and school, the more I worry I'm becoming a grumpy curmudgeon who's unsatisfied with everything. But I'm not. I love learning new things. I love picking up a new professional text and trying out new ideas. I love hearing from my friends and colleagues when they are all fired up about something new they've learned. And I enjoy authentic professional development.

I am excited to try out what I've learned and grateful for something good on a Thursday afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. I want to make a revision. Upon reflection I realized we have had several useful tech trainings, and it's quite possible I am forgetting others, too. Allow me to say instead "it was the first PD *in a while* that was what a PD should be.

    ReplyDelete

Know Yourself, Know Your Students: How to use personality frameworks to humanize your classroom (part 4)

Using the personality frameworks in your classroom Over the past two months, I’ve been writing and thinking a lot about the work I did to us...