Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Jumping in

Last week I attended the Picturing History Retreat put on by GCSS and GaDOE. Matt de la Peña, author of The Last Stop on Market StreetCarmella's Wishes, and many other great books now on now Want to Read Goodreads list, taught a break out writing session.  He read us the poem, Poetry Should Ride the Bus by Ruth Foreman and challenged us to write our own versions.

In an effort to jump into the deep end, to write, and share my writing, (which I must admit I could not will myself to do in the workshop when he asked if anyone would share... At the time, I was just proud I made myself walk into the Creative Writing Workshop session! It's much easier to think about writing and how I wish I had more time for it than to do it, huh? Damn you, Summer, and all your time!) so here is mine:

Poetry Should Push You in the Deep End

Poetry should splash
while I
dangle my feet in the water
sitting
on the edge of the pool
wetting my hair and getting in my eyes

Poetry should call out
"Come play!"
before plunging under the surface
water churning with waves
disappear
my eyes searching until I stand
to get a better look

Poetry should burst out
with a splash
and a laugh
water streaming down
looks like
such fun

Poetry should tread water
waiting
while I climb down two rungs
Dipping a toe in the cool water
freeze
shaking my head
doubting

Poetry should reach out
a sly look
we both know her plan
grab my hand
and yank me into in the
deep end

yeah
I'll pop up
spluttering
spitting
kicking wildly to stay afloat

I'll calm down
tread water
circle slowly
grasp the edge of the pool

Poetry should swim over
with a smile
shake like a dog
spraying my face with water
then tap me on the shoulder
and yell,
"You're it!"


No comments:

Post a Comment

Know Yourself, Know Your Students: How to use personality frameworks to humanize your classroom (part 4)

Using the personality frameworks in your classroom Over the past two months, I’ve been writing and thinking a lot about the work I did to us...